Frequently Asked Questions


How do I sign up for a meal plan?

To sign up, follow these steps:

  1. Log into MyWestfield
  2. Click on Campus Life
  3. Click on MyHousing
  4. Clock on My Dining Plan
  5. Choose Dining Plans
  6. Choose Fall 2023 in the dropdown meu
  7. Pick the plan you choose
Why am I required to have a meal plan if I'm living on-campus?

Westfield State Dining understands food is a big part of your life - actually, it's crucial! We care about you, your health, and your experience as an Owl. Requiring a meal plan guarantees:

  • You always have an option for meals, snacks, and groceries 
  • You have access to staff that can assist with dietary needs + restrictions
  • You are provided with common areas where you can socialize with friends and meet new ones
  • You can access exclusive events with special menus, chances to win prizes, live music, and more!


Where can I see the menu for the Dining Commons?

Our menu is available online here.

I have dietary needs, do I have options?

You have options! The DC offers an entire service line, called the Worry Free Zone, free of the top 9 allergens and accommodating specialty diets such as vegan and vegetarian. 

If ordering from our retail locations, please tell your server, or make a special note when placing your order on the GET app. 

What are Dining Dollars?

Dining Dollars are an additional benefit added to each meal plan, that students can use around campus at our dining locations. Dining Dollars are valid for the duration of your meal plan. 

Can I bring guests?

Yes! Guests are welcome, and can enter in a variety of ways. They can pay the door price, or be swiped in using a Guest Meal Swipe if your meal plan offered them, and you still have a remaining balance. 

*Parents can enter the DC with their students free of charge

What if I run out of meal swipes for the week?

If a student runs out of designated meal swipes during the week, they have the option to use Dining Dollars or Owl Bucks as other forms of payment. Students also have the option of upgrading their meal plan at any point throughout the semester. 

What is Common Goods?

Common Goods is a food pantry and resource center serving Westfield State University students, faculty and staff who may be experiencing hunger and are struggling to make ends meet. Through Common Goods, we strive to alleviate food insecurity for the Westfield State community. Common Goods provides a safe and welcoming space in which to distribute a variety of non-perishable food items and personal care items at no cost.

More information is available here:

What happens if I lose my student ID card?

To prevent unauthorized use of your lost or stolen card, you must notify the Campus Card Office by calling (413) 572-8184 or visiting the Campus Card Office in Wilson Hall, Room 124B. Students may temporarily use the GET app to access the Dining Commons or place order at other locations, but should replace their ID card to follow University policy. 

How can I get a job with Dining?

Student employees are an essential part of our operation. We offer convenient schedules, flexible hours, and opportunities for student supervisory positions.

If you're interested in working for Dining, please email us at