FAQs for Students

Two students looking at laptop in the campus center

Frequently Asked Questions for Students

student using soundboard in the campus radio station WSKB
WSKB radio station.
Two students, in costume, Dance the tango on stage during a theatrical performance in the Ely Black Box
Theatre Arts production of "Next To Normal."
Photo of student, from behind, writing mathematical equations on whiteboard
Math calculations at the board.
If I am a double-major in two different schools, who is my Associate Dean?

If you are a double major, you will have two advisors and two department chairs. If an issue arises within a particular program, the department chair would contact the appropriate Associate Dean for the School the program is in. 

Who signs my academic forms if I am a day undergraduate student?

Forms that previously required the signature of the Dean of Undergraduate Studies or the Associate Dean of Academic Achievement will now be signed by your Associate Dean, including the following:

  • Course by special arrangement
  • Independent study
  • Late withdrawal
  • Grade appeals
  • Academic dishonesty
  • Application for Enrollment Over 18 Credits
Whom do I contact if I want permission to substitute a course that is required for the Core?

Please contact the Assistant Provost for Core curriculum substitution approval.

Whom do I contact if I want to withdraw from a course during the ADD/DROP period and I cannot reach the faculty member?

Please contact your department chair or your Associate Dean if you are unable to reach your professor to obtain a signature on the Course Withdrawal form.

Whom do I contact if I want to add or drop a course after the ADD/DROP period has ended?

Once ADD/DROP has ended, please contact your Associate Dean to add or drop a course.

Whom do I contact about Academic Honors and the Dean’s List?

If you have questions about the requirements for Academic Honors or publication of the Dean’s List, please contact the Registrar's Office.

Whom do I contact if I would like to discuss my major?

All students should be in close contact with their advisors and should seek them out for advice or to express concerns.  If the advisor is not available, students should contact the department chair.  The department chair will suggest the next course of action, including whether a particular student should meet with the Associate Dean.

Whom do I contact if I have a concern about a class I am taking?

If you are concerned about a class, always speak to the professor first.  If that is not possible, contact the department chair.  If you are not able to reach the chair or are not satisfied with your conversation with the chair, you may then see the associate dean of your school.

Whom do I contact if I have a concern about an interaction with a faculty or staff member?

If you have a concern about an interaction with a faculty or staff member either inside or outside of the classroom, you should contact your department chair. If you have a concern about an interaction with your department chair, you should contact the Associate Dean.

If I need to change my major or declare a minor, whom do I see?

You will find the necessary forms on the webpage for the Office of the Registrar, and then you will meet with your advisor and the department chair to complete the paperwork. Remember that to change your major, you will need the signature from the chair of the department you are leaving, as well as the signature of the chair for the department you are joining. To declare a minor, you only need the signature of the department chair in which the minor is housed. The Office of the Registrar will process all forms after the department chair(s) sign them.

Where do I find my registration PIN?

You should always meet with your faculty advisor during the advising period and then get your registration PIN from them.

Whom do I see about transferring a class from another institution if I am already a matriculated student?

The department chair approves all course transfers using the Transfer Course Permission Form. Remember that this form must be completed before you register for the class.

Whom do I contact if I want change academic advisors?

If you wish to change academic advisors, please contact your department chair.