How Do I? - Student Support Resources

Discover Your Next Steps: Common Questions and Answers

Do you have questions about next steps at Westfield, but you're not sure where to find the answers? You're in the right place! Our student support services team has gathered resources to help with common questions students ask. We've organized them by topic so you can easily find what you need. Just click on the topics below to explore common questions and their answers.

General Resources

As you navigate your academic journey at Westfield State University, it's important to stay informed about various aspects of your student life, including your class schedule, attendance expectations, and procedures for dropping or adding courses. We've compiled essential information to address common questions you may encounter along the way. 

How do I find my A#?

Your A# is your University ID number. You can find your A# in your degree audit, also known as a degree evaluation, on MyWestfield. 

How do I know what the classes will be about?

All course descriptions are available in the University Catalog under course descriptions. Scroll down until you get to the “Course filter,” under prefixes, select the department, then click on filter. You will then see all of the courses for the academic department. Click on the course name to see the description and the prerequisites for that course. 

How do I know what day and time my class starts?

Students can view course offerings, including days, times, and locations, through the Registrar's Office course offerings section.

How do I view my schedule on MyWestfield?

To view your schedule, log into MyWestfield and click on the Academics tab at the top. Within the Academics tab, you'll find a box on the right-hand side labeled Academic Records. Click on 'Student Schedule' in that box to see your course schedule for the semester.

How do I find my online class?

If your class is on PLATO, you'll receive an email from CIT (Center for Instructional Technology) explaining how to start the course. For classes on other platforms, your professor will email you the necessary information. Make sure to check your Westfield State University email regularly.

Students will be enrolled in the PLATO system the Friday before classes start, including Winter and Summer sessions. Initially, you'll only have access to a 'Student Overview' tutorial course on PLATO. Your specific courses will be accessible by 8 AM on the first day of classes. Please note that you won't be able to see your course before this time.

What happens if I miss the first class?

Contact your instructor as soon as possible and make sure to attend the next class meeting. It's important to note that all students, whether in remote synchronous or in-person classes, are expected to attend class at the assigned times. Students who miss the first sessions of a class may be administratively removed from the class. If you need to drop the class before the end of the drop-add period, you can do so through the Registration tab in MyWestfield. Do not simply stop attending the course.

If you're enrolled in a fully online course, be sure to sign in and actively participate so your professor knows you're engaged.

What is a 'degree evaluation'?

Also referred to as the degree audit, this document provides a comprehensive list of the degree requirements for your major and core courses. It serves as a checklist, marking off the courses you've finished and the grades you've received, as well as outlining what's left for you to complete. Additionally, it includes your A# (University ID), your advisor's name, your GPA, and the total number of credits you've earned, including courses currently in progress. You can access this through myWestfield.

How do I find out what College I am part of and who my College Dean is?

Your college dean is assigned based on your major. New Exploratory students will be assigned a college when they meet with advising. For more information, you can visit our Schools and Departments page.

Where do I find my grades?

You can access your grades through MyWestfield. Please note that the appearance may differ between your phone and computer.

Here's how:

  1. Log into MyWestfield.
  2. Click on the Academics Tab.
  3. Look for the section titled 'Academic Records.'
  4. Under My Student Profile, click on 'Grades.'
  5. Your grades will also be listed in your Degree Evaluation and the Unofficial Transcript, both available under My Student Profile.
How do I address concerns that I am having with a class?

Your first step should be to reach out to your professor. They typically list their office hours and how to contact them on the class syllabus. Additionally, you can visit the Academic Support page to explore various academic support programs. Feel free to reach out to the program that seems most relevant to your concern. The staff there will be happy to assist you and point you in the right direction.

How do I get forms signed online?

Most forms will indicate how you are supposed to “sign” them at the top or the bottom.  Many forms are fillable .pdfs (fill in form or fillable pdf). Others have moved to online forms that you fill out and submit.  If you have a question about how to sign a document, contact the office and get confirmation.  

If you can print the form but not scan it, try using a scanning app.  If you are using a mac and the Mac pages word processing software, you must EXPORT and save your document before sending it to others.   

Send the document from your Westfield State University email address as that helps to confirm your identity.  

How do I use the local transportation – PVTA?

Students can access information about the PVTA on their website, including details about their app. PVTA provides transportation services with stops both on campus and in the center of Westfield. Additionally, Westfield State offers an on-campus shuttle service.

How do I find a place to live if I can no longer live at my current address or don’t have a place to live?

You may contact the Dean of Students, your College DeanFACES, or the CARE Center to begin inquiries as to how to address housing insecurities.  

How do I change my name from my given/birth first name if my gender identity does not align with it?

 Legal name changes and gender updates must be submitted to the Registrar's Office with the appropriate documentation.  Acceptable forms of documentation for a legal name or gender update include, a driver's license, court order, divorce papers, Social Security card, state ID and a passport. 

To update the preferred/chosen first name only a form can be submitted. Please contact the Registrar at 413-579-3200 with any questions.


Advising provides students with an opportunity to discuss questions about course schedules, selection, and academic progress with an academic advisor.

Each student is supported by a team consisting of an academic advisor, department chair, college dean, and staff, as well as peer advisors in the Academic Advising Center.

How do I change my schedule by dropping or adding a course?

Students can add or drop classes through the Registration tab in MyWestfield. First-time First-Year students should work with the Registrar’s Office for assistance with adding and dropping classes. You can contact the Registrar’s Office by email at or call 413-579-3200. Alternatively, you can email Academic Advising for registration assistance. Make sure to include your complete A# in your email.

It's important for all students to consult with their academic advisor before making changes to their schedule. Your advisor can help you understand how adding or dropping classes might impact your academic standing, progress towards completing your major, graduation requirements, and financial aid.

When can I change my schedule by dropping or adding a course?

Students can find add/drop information for current and upcoming semesters on the Registrar's Office website.

How do I find my advisor?

Students can locate their advisor by accessing their degree audit in MyWestfield. The advisor's name will be listed towards the top-left of the page. You can click on the advisor’s name to start an email. If you are an Exploratory, First-Year Criminal Justice major, on Academic Warning, or do not have an advisor listed on the degree audit, please make an appointment to visit the Office of Advising and Transfer Transitions. If you are in a major, you can contact the Academic Department of your major and inquire about your advisor.

DGCE students who are unsure of their academic advisor should visit the DGCE Advising website.

How do I access my degree audit or degree evaluation?

Students can access their degree audit through MyWestfield.  Click on the Academics tab and you should find it on that page.  If you have difficulty accessing the degree audit (you click on it and nothing happens or it just refuses access), make sure that you have allowed pop-ups.  Most just need to click on the lock icon in the url box at the top of the browser page.  Others might need to go into settings within their browser and allow the page.   

How and when should I contact my advisor?

Students should contact their advisor whenever they want to register for courses, change courses, drop or withdraw from a course, declare a concentration, or seek academic advice. It's crucial to receive advisor approval to determine if it's appropriate to drop or add a course and to understand any implications for financial aid, major requirements, or graduation.

How do I contact the Office of Academic Advising and Transfer Transitions during add/drop?

Students can contact the Office of Academic Advising and Transfer Transition the following ways:

Telephone: 413-572-8678
Location: Parenzo Hall 163

How do I know what classes I have left to take for the common core, graduation, and in my major(s)?

Your degree audit, also known as a degree evaluation, lists all the requirements needed to complete your degree, including courses or internships you've already completed that fulfill requirements. It also shows courses you're currently registered for that will fulfill requirements upon completion, labeled as 'in progress' (IP). You can access your degree audit in MyWestfield, and your advisor can help you learn how to use it. Additionally, you can watch a video tutorial to learn how to access and use your degree audit.

How do I know what the required core classes are?

A list of Common Core requirements is available in the University Catalog. All students must fulfill the requirement of the Common Core. 


As you prepare for your upcoming courses, ensuring you have the necessary textbooks is essential for success. The Westfield State University Bookstore offers convenient options to meet your needs. With just a few clicks on their webpage, you can access a wide range of textbooks tailored to your course requirements. Let's explore some common questions and answers to help you navigate the book-buying process with ease.

How do I buy my books?

You can purchase your books through the Westfield State University Bookstore webpage. Just click on the Textbooks tab and make sure you have the department, course, and section information ready to enter.

How do I know what books I need to buy? They are not listed on the bookstore website.

Often professors will provide the texts to you through the PLATO course. If you do not see them listed in the bookstore or in PLATO, then email your professor to ask what texts you will need.    

How do I sell back my books?

Visit the 'Sell your Textbooks' webpage for more information.

How do I get electronic texts so I can have my books read to me on my computer or device?

Any student can go to the Westfield State University Bookstore to see if an electronic text is available (.pdf or .epub). Other resources include Amazon, Chegg, Vitalsource and Redshelf. If an .epub version is available through Vitalsource, it will have a built-in reader. Check the websites to see if they offer both rental and purchase of the book.  

If you have an account with Audible or Learning Ally, you can search for the books on those platforms, too.  

If you have a disability where you need to have electronic texts on your computer, please contact Disability Services to learn more.  

How do I get software to have my books read to me on my computer or device?

Most word processing software (Microsoft word, google doc, Adobe Reader), has a function to read text. You will find it in the View tab of a document, search for “read” or “text to speech” in their help section or go to their accessibility functions and search.  

If you have a disability where you need to have electronic texts on your computer, please contact Disability Services to learn more.  

Technology Resources

Technology plays a crucial role in your academic journey at Westfield State University, and we want to ensure you have the support you need to navigate it seamlessly. From accessing essential platforms like MyWestfield to managing your PLATO account, we've compiled some key information to assist you in handling common tech-related questions. Whether you're resetting your password or troubleshooting login issues, we've got you covered.

How do I login to MyWestfield?

MyWestfield, also known as the 'Portal,' is accessible through the front page of the WSU website. Look for the 'Quick Links" area then 'Logins' section at the very top of the website. Click on MyWestfield and enter your username and password when prompted. Your password is the same as for your WSU email.

How do I use 'Plato'?

The PLATO website offers numerous resources to help students learn how to navigate their classes online. Two key resources are 'Students Getting Started' and 'Steps to Log into PLATO.' If you're facing challenges with PLATO, you can submit your questions to their help desk by creating a ticket.

What is 'WSU360'?

WSU360 is an online system that helps you track your progress in class and find support resources on campus. Check out the WSU360 Student Guide to learn how to use it.

How do I reset my account password?

To reset your password for your WSU account, visit the login page for MyWestfield. You'll find a prompt for 'forgot my password' to guide you through the process. Similarly, for PLATO, there's a 'forgot your password?' link that you can click on. 

What technology do I need to attend my classes?

To attend or complete classes online, all students will need a device with internet access, a camera, microphone, and audio capabilities. Some students may find it helpful to have headphones with a microphone for better sound quality. Your professors will inform you about any specific software or apps required for accessing the class.

How do I download Microsoft Office or other software for free?

Westfield State University offers various software licenses, including Microsoft Office and SPSS, for students to use at no cost. To access these resources, visit the Technology Support website. From there, you'll find a list of software available for students to download for free.

How do a talk to my instructor about not having my video on during class even if it is required?

There could be personal reasons why you need to keep your camera off during class. Check your course syllabus to see if your professor has a specific policy. While many professors may expect cameras to be on for various reasons, such as understanding and participation, it's important to communicate with your instructor if you have concerns. Write to your professor explaining why you might need to keep your camera off and when you might need it off. If you have a medical or mental health reason for needing your camera off, please reach out to Disability Services to discuss your situation.

How do I access my online classes if I don’t have my own computer or access to a camera, audio or a microphone in my computer?

If you're facing financial challenges that prevent you from accessing your online classes, it's crucial to reach out for support as soon as possible. You can contact the CARE Center, professor, college dean, or the advising office for assistance. They may be able to help you find resources to overcome these obstacles. Additionally, if you're using your phone instead of a larger device to access classes, you should also reach out for support.

Where do I study on campus?

As part of our commitment to supporting your academic success, we offer a variety of study spaces across campus for both on-campus and commuter students. Below, we've compiled some common questions and answers regarding the use of these study spaces to help you make the most of your study experience.

What spaces are available for studying on campus?

We've got you covered with multiple study spaces on campus! Check out our Study Spaces on Campus webpage for all the options.

What are my responsibilities when I use a study space?

Remember to Protect the Nest:

  • Wipe down spaces before and after you use them
  • Follow room capacity limits
  • Wash your hands or use hand sanitizer frequently
​Can I use these study spaces if I am a commuter student?

Absolutely! We get how tough it can be to study from home, especially when you need to switch to a remote class right after being on campus. For more information on spaces available for commuters, please visit our commuter life webpage.

May I use a residential hall study space if I do not live in that building?

No, only students who live in a residential hall can use its study spaces. Guests are not allowed.

Counseling Services

The Counseling Center has been providing valuable support services to the campus community since 1995. Services include counseling, crisis intervention, outreach programming, and more. 

How do I book an appointment?

Any student interested in connecting with a counselor can either walk into the Counseling Center main office (located in Lammers Hall Annex) or call the Counseling Center main number 413-572-5790 and leave a voicemail with a good call back number; one of our staff will be in touch. You can also email us for non-urgent questions/scheduling at: In the case of a crisis/emergency, the Counseling Center will offer an appointment as soon as possible.

How do I get help dealing with anxiety associated with coursework?

There are several ways you can address anxiety associated with coursework.   

  1. The most important place to start is to speak with your professor directly to explain your concerns and see what strategies exist to address your concerns.    
  2. Make an appointment with the Counseling Center  
  3. Work with Disability Services to see whether there are any accommodations that can be made.  
  4. Talk with someone at the Interfaith Center about the anxiety. 
  5. Tell your RA or RD to find out about resources available. 

International Students and Study Abroad

The International Programs Office provides students the resources for a well-rounded education at Westfield State University including academic and social experiences. IPO coordinates and administers programs that serve international students, faculty, and visitors to the Westfield community. The staff is aware of the demands associated with studying in another country and the special needs of international students.  

How can I meet with an advisor and submit documents?

You can meet with an advisor and submit documents by sending an email to the International Programs Office.

What do I need to know as an international student or a student currently living outside of the country?

There are many and various factors that will determine what steps to take as an international student or student living outside of the country. Similarly, your status will determine whether and how you can take courses at WSU. Please contact the International Programs Office at or 413-572-8545 with any questions.

How can I learn about study abroad programs?

At Westfield State University, students have the exciting opportunity to travel to various destinations around the world while earning academic credit. The Study Abroad program offers students from all majors the chance to study abroad for a semester, year, or short-term course during summer, winter, or spring break in over 36 countries. Our dedicated staff will help you choose the right destination, select the best travel option for you, and guide you through all the necessary procedures for studying abroad.

Ready for more support?

Explore our Academic Support and Understanding Key Terms in College pages!