Non-credit FAQs


Who can take non-credit classes at Westfield State?

Non-credit classes at Westfield State are open to all adults. You do not need to be a Westfield State student to register for these classes. In some cases, a class may have additional requirements that a student must meet in order to register. Each individual class webpage or description will list any of these additional requirements.

How do I register for non-credit classes?

You can check available seats, register, and pay for classes online here. After registering for a course, you can pay using a credit or debit card (Visa, MasterCard, or Discover.) You may also mail in or drop off a check but please note that your registration will not be complete until your payment is received. If you have any questions about the registration process, please contact us.

When is the deadline to register for a class?

We highly recommend registering for a class at least 2 weeks in advance of the start date. This allows us enough time to send you all the information and materials that you need prior to class and also provides us with a preliminary roster to provide to instructors so that they may prepare. Please note that while in most cases we do accept registrations up until the first day of class (provided that the class is not already full), if we have not met the minimum number of students required for the class to run a week before the start date, it will likely be canceled due to low enrollment. Don’t wait to register!

Why do classes get canceled?

The primary reason classes get canceled is due to low enrollment. If the class enrollment does not meet the minimum number of students required to run 7-10 days before the start date, it will likely be canceled. In rare cases, instructors may have to cancel classes due to personal reasons. In such an event, we will try and find an instructor to serve as a replacement. In all cases of class cancellations, we will notify you via phone and email as soon as possible. Students registered in a class that gets cancelled will receive a 100% refund.

What if I need to withdraw from a class for which I am registered?

Withdrawal requests must be made in writing via email. Our withdrawal and refund policy can be found here.

How do I get a receipt?

You will have the ability to print out a receipt after your purchase via the account you made when registering. If you have any issues accessing your receipt, you can contact us directly to request a receipt be mailed or emailed to you.

Will I get a grade, CEUs, or PDPs for my class?

Some non-credit courses are pass/fail, but in all cases you will not receive a letter or number grade. In some cases, you will receive a certificate or letter of completion after successfully completing a class or program. Classes for which CEUs or PDPs are offered will have the amount listed in the course description.

Are there any material (or other) fees for these classes?

Any additional fees will be listed in each individual class description. Most fees are included in the initial cost of registration, but some fees may need to be paid separately.

What do I need to bring to class?

For most classes, it is recommended to at least bring a notebook and pen or pencil. If you need to bring additional materials, the information will be included in the class description and you will be notified at the time of registration.

Where do I park? Do I need a parking permit?

Parking for most non-credit classes is located in the Commuter Lot adjacent to Wilson Hall. Registered students will receive detailed parking information via email prior to the start of their class. For short-term non-credit classes, temporary parking passes may be provided for the students to display on the dashboard of their vehicle. Long-term classes that require students to be on campus more often may need to purchase a decal at the discounted rate of $30. If this decal is necessary, it will be listed in the class description.

What happens in case of bad weather or emergencies?

In the event of an emergency or bad weather, Westfield State University may close and cancel all classes. Closure notices will be posted to the main page of the website so please check the website if you think there may be a chance that the University is closed. In the event of an emergency closure, we will also send email notifications out to students if possible so please make sure the contact information we have for you is always current.

What do I do if an accommodation is needed?

Students enrolled in a non-credit program should contact the Office of Lifelong Education in advance of the start date in order to receive assistance in solving any problems that they may have with regard to parking, entering buildings, reaching classrooms, seating arrangements within classrooms, or learning disabilities. Reasonable accommodations will be made if at all possible.

What is the process for financial appeals?

Students requesting a refund past the deadline outlined in our Withdrawal Policy may submit an online Financial Appeal. Please read the form carefully before submitting. All decisions made are final and students will be notified of the outcome of the appeal via the email address provided.

Who do I contact if I have questions?

If you have any questions, please contact:

Brandon Fredette
Associate Director
(413) 572-8033