President's Message | May 9, 2019
The Massachusetts Board of Higher Education (BHE) unanimously approved Westfield State University’s Strategic Plan at a full board meeting held on Tuesday, May 7, 2019. This follows the unanimous endorsement from the strategic planning committee of the BHE on April 30 and the February 7 approval from the Westfield State University Board of Trustees.
It has been rewarding to see our process unfold and reflect the input of students, faculty, staff, administrators, trustees, and alumni. Establishing the Plan’s direction, clarifying its focus, obtaining comprehensive input from campus constituents, and developing outcomes and metrics to measure the five-year Plan’s success, has been a massive undertaking and I extend significant gratitude to all involved in this important process for our University community and the students we educate and inspire.
This committee will serve as an advisory and planning body working with the campus community to structure a strategic plan in conjunction with the vision and mission of Westfield State University. The committee will be supported in its efforts by a strategic planning consultant.
- Propose an inclusive process for engaging the campus community in a review of the current mission, vision, and values.
- Present the campus community with opportunities to engage in development of the campus strategic planning process through surveys, focus groups, and SWOT analyses.
- Analyze data collected through input processes and incorporate campus input into development of strategic planning priorities.
- Analyze data on trends in higher education in the state and region as well as nationally and internationally to inform the development of strategic planning priorities.
- Propose strategic priorities that support the mission, vision, and values.
- Propose methods for implementation of the strategic plan and its assessment.
Dr. Joe Camilleri, Department of Psychology
Jennifer Carlson, Office of the Registrar
Patrick Carpenter, Institutional Advancement
Dr. Susanne Chuku, Department of Economics and Management
Dr. Enrique Morales Diaz, Department of Languages and Culture
Marcus DiBacco, Student
Dr. Jennifer Hanselman, Department of Biology
Richard Lenfest, Athletics
Angelo Mazza, Trades & Grounds
Dr. Susan Leggett (Chair), Office of the President
Arielyss Santiago, Student
Dr. Rose Sullivan, Department of Social Work
Stephen Taksar, Finance and Administration
- Reaffirm Mission and Vision September/October
- Conduct Environmental Scan September/October/November
- Collect and Analyze Stakeholder Input October/November/December
- Conduct SWOT Analysis November/December
- Summarize Strategic Issues December/January/February/March
- Prepare Strategic Plan February/March/April/May/June
- Develop Distribution/Implementation/Assessment Plans April/May/June
- Project Kick-off Meeting September 8th
- Summary of environmental scan & stakeholder input preparation October
- Stakeholder input sessions across campus November
- Identify plan priorities and goals December
- Initiate plan goal alignment at division level January
- University community feedback & briefing with Board of Trustees & Board of Higher Education March
- Finalize plan & brief the Board of Trustees & Board of Higher Education May
- November 2, 2017 Agenda (3:00pm - 5:00pm)
- November 30, 2017 Agenda (3:00pm - 5:00pm)
- December 19, 2017 Agenda (2:30pm - 4:30 pm)
- January 24, 2018 Agenda (3:00pm - 5:00 pm)
- February 14, 2018 Agenda (3:00pm - 5:00 pm)
- February 21, 2018 Agenda (3:00pm - 5:00 pm)
- April 18, 2018 Agenda (3:00pm - 5:00 pm)
- Archived: 2012-2017 Strategic Plan and 2005-2010 Strategic Plan
- Board of Higher Education Strategic Planning Guidelines & Procedures
- Environmental Scan
- Pioneer Valley Labor Market Blueprint
- Pioneer Valley Labor Market Blueprint Report with interactive data and visualization links
- Mission of the MA State Universities